[mythtv-users] PVR 250 + hd5500: consistent /dev/video# ordering

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Jan 29 17:15:22 UTC 2007

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com wrote:
> I recently installed a hd5500 card in a machine that previously had two
> PVR 250s in it, as /dev/video0 & /dev/video1.  I'm running IVTV 0.8.2
> and the inbuilt 2.6.18 dvb drivers.

> So my question is, what do I need to do to control the loading or
> creation of those devices?  Is there an option I can pass to one of the
> drivers or to whichever one is creating the 5500 /dev/video to not even
> create it (since I currently don't need it)?
>
> I've already tried things like using /dev/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
> to force cx88 or ivtv to load first, thinking that would make things
> predictable.  Alas, it did not.

Since you do not want the NTSC channels, the best method seems to be to
blacklist the cx8800 driver in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist. This should do
the trick but in addition, my box has a script in rc.local to 'modprobe
-r' all the cx88 drivers, and then only reload the cx88_dvb driver. (It
pulls in one other cx8802 iirc).
(As an aside, the blacklisting must be working, because my PVR tuners
always show up at video0 and video1..which I suspect would not happen if
video0 had been taken and then released.)

Now, since there is no call by an NTSC driver for a /dev/videoX space,
your PVR cards will find that spot available...Of course, before the dvb
drivers went into the kernel the situation was quite the opposite...so
some of the stuff on the 'net was correct, but is now wrong for newer
kernels.

Geoff