[mythtv-users] PVR 250 + hd5500: consistent /dev/video# ordering

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Mon Jan 29 16:07:10 UTC 2007

mythtv-users.mythtv.org at tgice.com wrote:
> Stroller wrote:
>>> Is there an option I can pass to one of the
>>> drivers or to whichever one is creating the 5500 /dev/video to not
>>> even
>>> create it (since I currently don't need it)?
>> I'm not sure about that, but I'm pretty sure you can allocate the to
>> 5500 /dev/video2, which should do the job.
>>
>> I think you might find these useful:
>>    http://www.redhat.com/magazine/002dec04/features/udev/
>>    http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html#example-netif
>> (and the rest of that page)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I looked into this a bit and it looked like
> it *might* be possible to do what I'm wanting w/ this, but after messing
> around with it for about 10 minutes, I gave up and went back to the
> /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (in Gentoo) approach.
>
> Previously, I'd just been using cx88xx (for the hd5500 card) and ivtv,
> but then I tried adding cx88_dvb (ahead of ivtv) and *so far* this seems
> to've worked, and made the hd5500's /dev/videoX device reliably come up
> as /dev/video0.  I have, however, only rebooted a few times since doing
> this, so I'm not sure it'll stick, but perhaps that's all there is to it.
>
> When I first installed the 5500, I didn't have *any* references in
> kernel-2.6 for it b/c the drivers seemed to autoload for me (I must've
> put some support in 2.6.18 for that), but if this works for the videoX
> ordering, that's the way to do it of course.
>
> Thanks for your help.  I'll try to post if this doesn't work and I come
> up with another solution.

For a Fedora system, just create a bash script as
/etc/sysconfig/modules/v4l.modules containing the following:

#!/bin/bash
/sbin/modprobe cx88_dvb
/sbin/modprobe ivtv

That'll make sure cx88_dvb loads first, ivtv second, and should give you
100% consistent device nodes. Any *.modules file is run from rc.sysinit
rather early on in the boot process.

--jarod