[mythtv-users] MySQL log files growing alarmingly

Chuck Peters cp at ccil.org
Sat Jan 27 21:28:18 UTC 2007

On 1/27/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I set up a MythTV system about a week ago and I've discovered that my MySQL
> log files are growing at an alarming rate. I know next to nothing about

On my Ubuntu Dapper machine I changed KEEP_BINARY_LOGS to 30.

Look in /etc/cron.daily/mysql-server and verify that Ubuntu Edgy is
also using the same file /etc/mysql/debian-log-rotate.conf to set the
parameter.

cp at peters:~$ cat /etc/mysql/debian-log-rotate.conf
# This is the config file for
#       /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server (for normal logs)
#       /etc/cron.daily/mysql-server-4.1 (for binary logs)
# It should be kept in shell script syntax and contain only variables.
#
# Both log file types are rotated daily, whenever "FLUSH LOGS;" is
# issued and when the server (re)starts so do not choose too low numbers.

# Configuring /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server does not yet work.

# The number of binary log files that are kept. They are rotated daily
# and on "FLUSH LOGS;". A value of 0 disables rotating and is set as default
# for backward compatibility.
#KEEP_BINARY_LOGS=0
KEEP_BINARY_LOGS=30

Chuck