[mythtv-users] MySQL log files growing alarmingly

Nemo Inis nemoinis at telus.net
Sun Jan 28 05:16:22 UTC 2007

On Jan 27, 2007, at 1:28 PM, Chuck Peters wrote:

> On 1/27/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I set up a MythTV system about a week ago and I've discovered that my
>> MySQL
>> log files are growing at an alarming rate. I know next to nothing
>> about
>
> On my Ubuntu Dapper machine I changed KEEP_BINARY_LOGS to 30.
>
> Look in /etc/cron.daily/mysql-server and verify that Ubuntu Edgy is
> also using the same file /etc/mysql/debian-log-rotate.conf to set the
> parameter.
>

> cp at peters:~$ cat /etc/mysql/debian-log-rotate.conf
> # This is the config file for
> #       /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server (for normal logs)
> #       /etc/cron.daily/mysql-server-4.1 (for binary logs)
> # It should be kept in shell script syntax and contain only variables.
> #
> # Both log file types are rotated daily, whenever "FLUSH LOGS;" is
> # issued and when the server (re)starts so do not choose too low
> numbers.
>
> # Configuring /etc/logrotate.d/mysql-server does not yet work.
>
> # The number of binary log files that are kept. They are rotated daily
> # and on "FLUSH LOGS;". A value of 0 disables rotating and is set as
> default
> # for backward compatibility.
> #KEEP_BINARY_LOGS=0
> KEEP_BINARY_LOGS=30

As far as I can tell on Ubuntu Edgy with mysql 5.0.24 the variable
controlling the binary logs is in /etc/mysql/my.cnf  (or
/var/lib/mysql/my.cnf  or ~/.my.cnf  if it has been copied there).
The binary logs are not rotated but are expired according to the value
of "expire_logs_days"
At least that's what happening on my system...