[mythtv-users] MySQL log files growing alarmingly

James Hood jimmycap at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 15:54:55 UTC 2007

Those log files have to do with MySQL being set as a master for replication.
They contain a sort-of transaction log of every statement run on the server
that changes data. You can instruct MySQL to remove them, use a system
variable to control how long they stay around, or use mysqldump to backup
the database and then clear them.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/replication-master-sql.html

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqldump.html
Look for --delete-master-logs

I stumbled upon this (after my /var partition filled up b/c of these bin
files) and have since added a cron that backs up the entire database and
then deletes the bin files.

Since then, they haven't been an issue. As a bonus, it provides a handy way
to recover nearly everything in the event of database corruption (Restore
from last backup, then execute all statements in these bin logs).

Cheers,
jim