[mythtv-users] xbox recommendations

Robert Anderson riznob at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 23:33:38 UTC 2007

On 1/21/07, Jack Madison <jack at webhouse.cc> wrote:

> Sorry if this has been discussed a bazillion times, I've done a bunch of
> searching and while I can find a bunch of howto's, I haven't found much
> in the way of "which is better".
>
> After a bunch of searching I've decided to try an xbox as a frontend. On
> impulse I bought an xbox for $100, turns out it's version 1.1 which is
> supposedly good.
>
> I've done a bunch of searching on doing the softmod vs. a chip, but I'm
> a bit confused on the best way to go.  I THINK I want to go with a mod
> chip, no need to track down a specific version of a game, deal with
> special cables or replay boxes, moving savegames, etc.  Perhaps it's not
> as bad as it sounds?  If I chip it, is it should be as simple as put in
> the chip, boot up to the linux install and go?  If I go with a mod chip,
> which should I use?  The DuoX2 seems to be the cheapest, but are there
> any drawbacks?
>
> If the xbox ends up being a good front end I'll buy probably 2 more and
> do the same thing with them.  I have no interest in playing xbox games,
> I simply want to boot up the xbox straight to a mythtv frontend.  If I
> track down everything I need for the softmod I should then be able to
> mod other xboxs without additional hardware.  Can both a softmoded and
> chipped xbox both boot straight to myth?
>
> As for Linux, is Xebian the best?

If you got an old xbox, you can hard mod it without buying a modchip. You
need to simple solder two points on the motherboard and flash the onboard
bios with a modded bios. Check out www.xbox-scene.com for details on how to
do that.

Once modded (whatever route you take), you can download a xebian linux dist
with myth installed and with a little configuration be up and running in no
time. Go to www.piratebay.org and search for mythtv. Via bittorrent,
download the latest one and follow the instructions to install and
configure.

--
Rob Anderson
riznob at gmail.com