[mythtv-users] Resolving moire pattern in recorded TV

Owen Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Mon Jan 22 01:19:58 UTC 2007

I'm having some problems with my MythTV setup, where live TV or
content that I record off TV and watch later has a noticeable moire
pattern around things like large white surfaces, vertically or
horizontally lined surfaces, etc. It isn't a very big deal, but the
quality is noticeably worse than if I connect my cable box to my TV
directly.

My video chain is standard definition cable box connecting to an ATI
TV Wonder VE card over composite (RCA) video input. The Myth system
then connects to an HD-capable Sony CRT television using a DVI to
HDMI cable. My video card is an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200.

I suspect that the problem is being caused by the crappy TV tuner
card, or the fact that I'm using the composite input, or maybe both.
I originally tried very hard to get the coax input to work, but I
couldn't get Myth to stop trying to change the channel on the tuner
card, rather than on the cable box using the serial cable.

I was thinking that I would just upgrade to a PVR-250, but I figured
I'd post and ask if anyone has any other ideas about what might be
causing this. Thanks!

--
owen at nerdnetworks.org (Owen B. Mehegan)
'But that I am forbid