[mythtv-users] Is my proposed hardware okay?

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Jan 21 17:10:36 UTC 2007

On 21 Jan 2007, at 13:28, --[ UxBoD ]-- wrote:
> Just about to setup my first MythTV installation and would like to
> ensure my proposed hardware will be okay :-
> Hauppauge PVR-350
> I shall be using to record Sky channels, and the MythTV ZoneMinder
> plugin.

Hi there,

Are you planning to record Sky using the output of your set-top-box
(STB)?

In this case the Sky box will be converting the digital mpeg stream
to analogue for you, and the PVR-350 will be converting it back into
digital mpeg after you've piped it through a (lowish-quality?) tv
cable. I'm not sure the full implications of this, but it seems
inefficient to me, and I don't think you'll ever quite achieve the
same quality as was beamed from the satellite.The quality difference
may not be visible but if you use a DVB-S card then it can (as I
understand it) be connected directly to the satellite dish and dump
the mpeg directly from the dish to hard-disk.

As I understand it you need to place your Sky card back in the STB
periodically to keep it working (I think it gets updates that way?)
but I'm pretty sure it's possible to receive the encrypted Sky
broadcasts direct to MythTV if you have the right hardware (a DVB-S
PCI card with Common Interface slot & 3rd-party CAM) and that I've
seen postings to the list within the last few weeks that mention
doing this. It is not terribly well documented, but some Googling may
be worthwhile.

I don't know anything about ZoneMinder, so it might be that you need
the PVR-350 for that, but I hope you find these comments worthwhile.

Stroller.