[mythtv-users] Is this possible?

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Sat Jan 20 05:05:35 UTC 2007

* On Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 04:32:25PM -0600, Mitchell Gore wrote:
> What i would want ideally when I watch the recording with my HD viewer it
> would play the .old file that has the full res video but when i connect
> with my xbox it would play the Xvid version.

Not easily possible with current Myth, but something that is on my TODO
list and that I've made a quick proof of concept of already.  I'm looking
into extending Myth to support the concept of multiple (independent) files
per "recording", so you could have the original HD version for watching
on your HD frontend and a transcoded copy for watching on your Xbox or any
other slower frontend that wasn't HD capable.  These would be tied to the
same recording entry.  My current proof of concept code pops up a box
asking which version you want to play, but the actual implementation could
prompt or automatically decide based on the file description in the DB
(HD vs transcoded, etc.) or possibly even based on the contents in the
future.

My current test code adds a 'recordedfile' table.  Adding another copy
of the recording is as simple as inserting a new record into that table
and it automatically appears on the popup menu when you try to play the
recording.  That's the easy part.  Handling these alternate files in
places like the AutoExpirer are a bit more difficult.

--
Chris