[mythtv-users] Is this possible?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Sat Jan 20 05:18:33 UTC 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 9:05 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> * On Fri Jan 19, 2007 at 04:32:25PM -0600, Mitchell Gore wrote:
>> What i would want ideally when I watch the recording with my HD
>> viewer it
>> would play the .old file that has the full res video but when i
>> connect
>> with my xbox it would play the Xvid version.
>
> Not easily possible with current Myth, but something that is on my
> TODO
> list and that I've made a quick proof of concept of already.  I'm
> looking
> into extending Myth to support the concept of multiple
> (independent) files
> per "recording", so you could have the original HD version for
> watching
> on your HD frontend and a transcoded copy for watching on your Xbox
> or any
> other slower frontend that wasn't HD capable.  These would be tied
> to the
> same recording entry.  My current proof of concept code pops up a box
> asking which version you want to play, but the actual
> implementation could
> prompt or automatically decide based on the file description in the DB
> (HD vs transcoded, etc.) or possibly even based on the contents in the
> future.
>
> My current test code adds a 'recordedfile' table.  Adding another copy
> of the recording is as simple as inserting a new record into that
> table
> and it automatically appears on the popup menu when you try to play
> the
> recording.  That's the easy part.  Handling these alternate files in
> places like the AutoExpirer are a bit more difficult.
>
> --
> Chris

I had mentioned this a couple of months back, but was met with
silence. I'm happy to see you've got it in the works! I would be
thrilled to keep full-res HD for watching just on my living room
front end and make everyone else watch a transcoded version that
doesn't bring their machines to a hault and tie up my network.