[mythtv-users] PVR350 mpeg decoding without tvout

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 10:43:18 UTC 2007

On 19/01/07, Justin Luitjens <luitjens at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My myth box is outputting to my TV using VGA.  I also have a PVR 350 in
> my machine.  I was wondering if it was possible to use the PVR350's mpeg
> decoder while still using the VGA out?  If I can't would there be major

No. The hardware decoder only works on the PVR-350 video output.

> differences to the picture quality if I used the PVR350's output to go
> to my TV?  I heard there were some issues with the PVR350's output
> (especially when fast forwarding).  Can anyone tell me what would be the
> best way to output to my TV?

If you're already using VGA to connect to your TV, I would stick with
that if you've got a video card that has hardware MPEG-2 support
(cards with XvMC) or a reasonably powerful CPU. The PVR-350's output
is beautiful (I used to use this when my ATI video drivers were
broken) and easily beat the TV-out on my ATI Radeon 9000 (I think it
is also better quality overall than my VGA->SCART cable too, due to
it's rock-solid output).

However, the PVR-350 only has hardware acceleration for MPEG-2 output,
and trying to run X on it for anything else is slow and CPU intensive.
I would stick to VGA or consider DVI if you have that option.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/