[mythtv-users] US MythTV users: will your recordings be 1 hour off on March 11th?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 14:50:31 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, mythusers.jtuttle at xoxy.net <mythusers.jtuttle at xoxy.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know how to perform a similar check on a Debian-based system?
> Or more generally, how to check and see what the local timezone rules are,
> and what's going to change on what particular dates? I had a devil of a time
> getting my local timezone set initially when I set up my box (system clock
> was set to the correct local time but with zone "UTC", apparently the result
> of Windows that was running on the hardware before...took me longer than I'd
> like to admit to notice what was wrong).
> I'm running Knoppmyth R5D1 (Thanks, Chris!) so I suspect that it has all the
> new TZ rules, but I'm curious how one would do the equivalent of "rpm -q
> tzdata". I think the timezone files are all kept in /usr/local/etc/zoneinfo,
> but I'm not sure which package updates them (maybe tzselect?).
> Any more experienced Debian users want to clarify?

first run Henry Harper's test to see what you get, if the second
letter is an S its on standard time, D is daylight savings.
if its a "D" then your good to go, if its an S then update your
package list (apt-get update) and then install the new tzdata,
"apt-get install tzdata". This will update your time zone information,
and I believe it will reset your timezone as well, so run tzconfig to
set your proper time zone again.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -