[mythtv-users] US MythTV users: will your recordings be 1 hour off on March 11th?

Matt skd5aner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 06:09:00 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/07, mythusers.jtuttle at xoxy.net <mythusers.jtuttle at xoxy.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone know how to perform a similar check on a Debian-based system?
> >
> > Or more generally, how to check and see what the local timezone rules are,
> > and what's going to change on what particular dates? I had a devil of a time
> > getting my local timezone set initially when I set up my box (system clock
> > was set to the correct local time but with zone "UTC", apparently the result
> > of Windows that was running on the hardware before...took me longer than I'd
> > like to admit to notice what was wrong).
> >
> > I'm running Knoppmyth R5D1 (Thanks, Chris!) so I suspect that it has all the
> > new TZ rules, but I'm curious how one would do the equivalent of "rpm -q
> > tzdata". I think the timezone files are all kept in /usr/local/etc/zoneinfo,
> > but I'm not sure which package updates them (maybe tzselect?).
> >
> > Any more experienced Debian users want to clarify?
>

> first run Henry Harper's test to see what you get, if the second
> letter is an S its on standard time, D is daylight savings.
> if its a "D" then your good to go, if its an S then update your
> package list (apt-get update) and then install the new tzdata,
> "apt-get install tzdata". This will update your time zone information,
> and I believe it will reset your timezone as well, so run tzconfig to
> set your proper time zone again.

I'm pretty sure that older debian systems doesn't have a "tzdata".
All timezone information is kept in the libc6 package.

So an: apt-get update
followed by an: apt-get install libc6

...will install new timezone information for older debian systems.
Don't ask my what "newer" debian systems take.  All my newer debian
systems are actually ubuntu and I didn't have to update them for the
new DST rules.

Matt