[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

B Walker braindead at diablops.com
Wed Jan 17 02:42:19 UTC 2007

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:44:28 -0700
Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:55 PM, A JM wrote:
>
> > On 1/15/07, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Maybe some explanation of your hardware is in order.
> >>
> >> Nobody can diagnose your problem if you don't tell us what you're
> >> trying to do and with what gear.
<snip>
> People have apparently had some success with ubuntu or its cousin
> kubuntu. Some folks seem to have got Myth to run on Gentoo but I had
> problems with it when I tried, though that was over a year ago now.

I'm running Myth on Gentoo, have been for about a year.  The choice of distros I think has more to do with your personal experience level and/or willingness to spend the time to learn what you need to know.  I know I learned a lot about *nix years ago with Slackware ('96 I think).. when I inadvertantly did a rm -Rf /  didn't think it was possible to delete in use files ;-)

That being said in the Gentoo environment you will may have to be carefull doing upgraded.  I find it's best at times to emerge specific packages rather than world....