[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Jan 16 03:44:28 UTC 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 7:55 PM, A JM wrote:

> On 1/15/07, Dewey Smolka <dsmolka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Maybe some explanation of your hardware is in order.
>>
>> Nobody can diagnose your problem if you don't tell us what you're
>> trying to do and with what gear.
>>

> Running an Epox 8RDA3I with a Sempron 2200, 500 meg of ram with a DVD
> burner. So, it's nothing out of the ordinary that I can see,

You might want to try one of the "all-in ones" like MythDora or
KnoppMyth.

The main problem with Myth IMHO is that everything is a moving
target. The kernel itself and the rest of the OS, the ivtv drivers,
lirc and many other things are constantly changing and all these
things have to not only work but work together for a Myth
installation to succeed. Most Myth problems in my experience are not
Myth problems at all but problems with something that Myth depends on.

The packagers of the all-in-ones have (usually) found a combination
of these things that work together.

People have apparently had some success with ubuntu or its cousin
kubuntu. Some folks seem to have got Myth to run on Gentoo but I had
problems with it when I tried, though that was over a year ago now.

You don't mention what your capture hardware is or how you tried to
install Myth (RPMs, compile from scratch etc.).