[mythtv-users] Recomended distro???

Todd Ferris tferris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 06:26:31 UTC 2007

On 1/15/07, A JM <vbtalent at gmail.com> wrote:

> After my 6th re-install of Fedora Core 6 I'm giving up on Fedora. I
> need a Distro that's easier to work with and you don't need a crystal
> ball or to be a software engineer to figure out what's wrong with it
> when it breaks...
>
> So, I'm looking for suggestions from successful Myth installs but also
> for ease of maintenance and use... this machine will be a backend
> mostly but could see some ocassional frontend usage, no HD in the near
> future.
>
> Thanks for any feedback...

I bailed off the Fedora bandwagon at core 3 and moved to Ubuntu.  So, far
things have been much better (knock on wood).  Took a little getting used to
the "debian" way...

I went with Ubuntu 6.06 aka "Dapper Drake", because it is a LTS (long term
support - they will support this release for 3 years.)

Now, I also switched over to compiling myth and ivtv myself.  (There are
great how-to's that makes this very straightforward)  I think this has also
settled things down immensely, now I am not worrying that my next update is
going to break things (except for new kernels, but I control when I reboot)

There is no "perfect" myth distro, as everyone uses myth in slightly
different ways.  However, for me I was looking for one that I could just
setup and let it run, but I also wanted to run other things on my backend
(backup, samba, etc...)  For me Ubuntu has been close to that.  For the
ultimate setup and just let it run, I would think knoppmyth (or MythDora)
might even be better (as previously suggested).

Good luck