[mythtv-users] VGA -> LCD or DVI->Convertor->HDMI?

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Thu Jan 11 04:30:13 UTC 2007

On 1/11/07, Bill <Bill at explosivo.com> wrote:
> * My LCD will have a VGA connection and HDMI connectors.   I can
> connect to the TV three ways - which is best.
> 2) Record on the capture cards, but play back over a video card to
> the VGA connection
>
> 3) Record on the capture cards, but play back over a video card to
> the HDMI from a DVI card through a convertor.

One of these two.

Which exact TV did you buy?

I will tell you that most people's gut feeling would be "use DVI, it's
digital!"  They would be wrong though...

MOST LCD tvs are strangely configured (until you think about it, and
then it makes sense).

On VGA input, they act like a monitor.  They do NO real scaling (some
will scale up if you select the wrong resolution, but it usually looks
quite a bit crappy, just like with LCD monitors).

On DVI input, however, they ONLY expect standard video formats
(720p/1080i/576p/480p), and then it scales those to the native
resolution.  The result?

-VGA input to the TV at 1360x768 (or whatever your TV is, I'm assuming
it's a standard 720p LCD) is pixel perfect (with 3 pixels shaved on
either side)

-HDMI input at 1360x768 doesn't display at all

-HDMI input at 1280x720 (eg "720p") displays, but with the edges cut
off due to overscan compensation

In short, I'd go VGA with a high quality VGA cable.