[mythtv-users] Fuzzy resolution using LCD monitor to display ordinary NTSC

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 10 20:17:00 UTC 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 11:58 AM, H P Ladds wrote:

> When displaying DirecTV NTSC broadcasts on a LCD computer monitor,
> the picture is "fuzzy."  Perhaps "not very crisp" is a better
> description.

yes. You're magnifying a relatively low resolution image.

> When I reduce the size of the window displaying the video, the
> picture become crisper. The picture is crisp in preview windows, or
> in the small picture displayed when viewing the schedule.

yes. Not as much magnification on the relatively low-resolution image.

> Very little is gained when I bump up the resolution to 720 x 480
> and increase the bitrate. The fact that I can only bump up the
> resolution to 720 x 480 in Myth's settings leads me to this question:
>
> If NTSC broadcast probably has a resolution ~ 720 X 480 and display
> has a resolution of 1080 X 768. Shouldn't the picture be fuzzy?
> Isn't a monitor displaying images at  1080X768 trying to display
> more information than the NTSC signal of 720 x 480 can supply?
> Basically isn't the monitor trying to display information that
> isn't there? Do I have pixels sitting around waiting for some thing
> to do?

yes. It should be fuzzy. And is. Not sure what the question is.

> If I reduce the LCD's resolution, then all other aspects of Myth
> (web, weather, music, themes, etc.) are wildly to large.

yes. reducing resolution means increasing the size of the pixels to
fit the display.

> Then again, I could be "all wet" with this theory. Perhaps the LCD
> at 1024 X 768 should play 720 x 480 magnificently.

Place a picture on a photo-copier and blow it up 150%. It will look
fuzzy. That's just the way it is. Again, you seem to have explained
it all. Not sure what the question is.

> Equipment:
> pvr-150 (via component, S-video is a mess)
> fx5200
> AMD64 3200+

I have the same system. your s-video should give a slightly better
picture than your component. Not sure what "a mess" looks like.