[mythtv-users] lirc issues after vacation

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Fri Jan 5 16:33:22 UTC 2007

On Jan 5, 2007, at 8:25 AM, Fred Clausen wrote:

> I really believe that the problem lies with the fact that you don't
> have
> the appropriate kernel module loaded, try:
>
> # modinfo lirc_i2c
>
> and see if any info is printed. You can also try:
>
> # modprobe lirc_i2c
>
> and see if that works. Chances are that you had the correct module
> before you updated your system but now the kernel module package
> has not
> been update but your kernel has. But I don't how the lirc kernel
> modules
> are packaged in Ubuntu. From some light googling, it seems you have to
> compile the drivers from source.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fred.

I honestly don't know the first thing about Ubuntu, but ironically
enough I had this same problem last night. My machine hard-locked and
I needed a reboot - forgetting that I had updated the kernel and not
rebooted. So when it came back I needed to install the kernel modules
for my new nvidia driver, lirc, alsa, etc. nvidia was it's usual try
the latest, doesn't work, try 1 version back, doesn't work, try 5
versions back, yay it works. But lirc never worked correctly until I
finally uninstalled it and reinstalled (yes, the same version).
Magically is started working. So maybe you can use apt to remove lirc
and reinstall and see how it goes.