[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Fri Feb 9 19:46:12 UTC 2007

>>As far as I can see it's in the main kernel:
>$ grep 3W /usr/src/linux/.config
># CONFIG_BLK_DEV_3W_XXXX_RAID is not set
># CONFIG_SCSI_3W_9XXX is not set

Almost all of the 3ware cards are properly supported in the kernel. With the
exception of the SUSE kernels. These lag badly in my opinion, often the
latest kernel patch for SLES will not support the 3ware card, and the module
needs to be compiled from source. All RHEL kernels I have used have
supported the 3ware cards that they have been used against (for our
customers it is usually the latest and greatest). Also, modules are
available on the 3ware site for rescue/install disks easy to download.

Module recompilation is (thankfully, for the number and quality of some of
our SUSE customers) not much of an issue. It is a download of a driver from
the 3ware website (wow, a site which doesn't require you to spend half an
hour registering and waiting for an email first), then running a simple
install script. The same can be said for the quite good management software
(most difficult question, "Did you have to install the driver"
[paraphrase]). The management software allows you to view the status of the
drives, logical disks etc. and perform simple maintenance.

I am very much a proponent of the 3ware cards, I feel that for SATA raid
there is currently no match.
BUT, if you install SUSE, please remember to check that there is a copy of
your old kernel and 3ware module before running any online updates.

Hope this helps,
Gareth