[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Richard Pickler rpickler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:40:44 UTC 2007

Thought I would go ahead and chime in here, as I have an applicable
experience.

My backend is running an areca ARC-1210 [
http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pcie.htm ] running in an athlon 64 machine
w/ 4x200GB raid 5 (unformatted 600GB).  (Wish I had dual core, I have this
machine handling a ton of other tasks and it pretty much has a constant load
average of 1.5 - 2.0 ).  The card has an open source driver written by their
own engineer, which is available in the -mm patch set.  I don't know if it
has yet made it into the mainline kernel.  I patched the kernel, installed
it, and excluded any kernel updates from yum so I don't destroy the driver.

On top of that, the card has a web server running on it that has all the
configuration and testing capabilities that are available in the bios
screen.  Through a little utility of theirs (which is prone to memory
leaks), you can forward outside of the machine however you want.  Also has a
full set of command line tools.  I'm not sure about hot-swapping though.

The thing has been rock solid, I highly recommend it.