[mythtv-users] Am I running out of bandwitdth?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Wed Feb 7 16:48:37 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:32:15 -0500
"Richard Stanaford" <rstanaford at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/7/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:
> >
> > I use MythVideo for streaming Mpegs, and DVD ISO's from NFS to my mythbox.
> >
> > Sometimes the playback stutters.  There is nothing to suggest that the
> > mythfrontend is running out of cpu (it's an AMD XP 3200) so I am
> > wondering if badwisth is the issue:
> >
> > My mythbox is connected over 802g via an ethernet bridge  - I get about
> > 1.5 MB/sec (12 Mbit/sec) reading from NFS.  Surely this is enough
> > bandwidth even for DVDs?
> >
> > is there any value in experimenting with using Xine as the engine?
> >
> > Dave
>

> Hi Dave,
>
> There are a couple of possibilities I can think of.  Firstly, I'll agree
> with the recommendation that you try it wired to the switch.  Eliminate the
> wireless piece and see if that cures the problem.
>
> A cordless phone (yours or a neighbor) operating within the 2.4Ghz spectrum
> could also cause interesting problems.  Try moving your wireless to another
> channel and see if that helps at all.
>
> If you are encrypting your wireless, and I hope you are, you could be taking
> a performance hit.  Try running WPA with AES encryption.  It's almost as
> fast as unencrypted.

You could also do some throughput testing, maybe run iperf on both sides a few times, see what you get.

I don't know how much this will help, but you can leave a long running ping on the box across the link.  Come back later and see how many packets got dropped.  May indicate the "microwave/cordless phone" problem.