[mythtv-users] Am I running out of bandwitdth?

Richard Stanaford rstanaford at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 16:32:15 UTC 2007

On 2/7/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:

> I use MythVideo for streaming Mpegs, and DVD ISO's from NFS to my mythbox.
>
> Sometimes the playback stutters.  There is nothing to suggest that the
> mythfrontend is running out of cpu (it's an AMD XP 3200) so I am
> wondering if badwisth is the issue:
>
> My mythbox is connected over 802g via an ethernet bridge  - I get about
> 1.5 MB/sec (12 Mbit/sec) reading from NFS.  Surely this is enough
> bandwidth even for DVDs?
>
> is there any value in experimenting with using Xine as the engine?
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

There are a couple of possibilities I can think of.  Firstly, I'll agree
with the recommendation that you try it wired to the switch.  Eliminate the
wireless piece and see if that cures the problem.

A cordless phone (yours or a neighbor) operating within the 2.4Ghz spectrum
could also cause interesting problems.  Try moving your wireless to another
channel and see if that helps at all.

If you are encrypting your wireless, and I hope you are, you could be taking
a performance hit.  Try running WPA with AES encryption.  It's almost as
fast as unencrypted.

Best of luck to you.  :-)
-Rich