[mythtv-users] Am I running out of bandwitdth?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 7 17:05:33 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Bill Chmura wrote:

> You could also do some throughput testing, maybe run iperf on both
> sides a few times, see what you get.

Since he's running NFS he could run bonnie on the NFS-mounted
filesystem and get some true performance numbers, just make sure the -
s size you use is large enough to make sure you're not just measuring
cache performance.

> I don't know how much this will help, but you can leave a long
> running ping on the box across the link.  Come back later and see
> how many packets got dropped.  May indicate the "microwave/cordless
> phone" problem.

He *could* look at 802.11a to eliminate 2.4Ghz. interference, an
often overlooked alternative.

I can't tell you haw many folks I have run into who say their
wireless network is "running fine" when it is in fact dropping 75% of
the packets and running at 1.5MB, they just don't know it because all
they are doing is web browsing through their DSL line.

As for encryption, it depends on what you are trying to prevent. If
you are trying to stop folks from getting free net access MAC
filtering is effective, encryption is for stopping somebody from
reading your traffic, which they could do down your street at a pole
or ped if they really wanted to anyway.

I'd advise MAC filtering in any case, as it has no overhead. It's
true somebody could spoof your MAC addresses but they would have to
know what address to spoof.