[mythtv-users] HP PVR150 card recording .mpg files but file command shows them as "data"

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 07:52:46 UTC 2007

On 05/02/07, zablal baz <zablalbaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I have a hardware based HP PVR150 capture card.  When my Myth box was a
> Windows system running SageTV, all my recorded shows would be captured as
> mpeg2 files.  A file command against one of those files would show as:
>
> $ file SoylentGreen-2782310-0.mpg
> SoylentGreen-2782310-0.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex
>
> Under mythtv, my shows are recorded with the .mpg extension, but they don't
> really appear to be mpeg2 compliant files.  A file command against any of my
> recorded shows will return the following:
>
> $ file /video/recordings/1256_20070201180000.mpg
> /video/recordings/1256_20070201180000.mpg: data
>
> Now, none of my editing software (windows - TsunamiDVD, linux - avidemux)
> will open these files unless I run them through a very lengthy ffmpeg
> process.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to get my beloved "MPEG sequence, v2, program
> multiplex" files back?  Is this an issue where I can just turn off some sort
> of automatic transcoding here?

In mythtv-setup, what type of stream type have you got configured for
recordings from your PVR-150?

I recommend using the DVD-Special-2 profile for DVD compliant captures
- output from one of my PVR-150 captures:

# file /recordings/4047_20070125113300.mpg
/recordings/4047_20070125113300.mpg: MPEG sequence, v2, program multiplex

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/