[mythtv-users] Transcode any program recorded on one channel (new Aussie HD channels)

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 01:53:17 UTC 2007

I notice that Shepherd is now giving me a full set of listing for new
High-Def channel 7HD, which means that people in the family will
probably start scheduling recording of programs from those channels.

The problem that I have is that I only have Xbox FE's and no HD TV's,
so while it is nice to have the extra choice of programs, I don't need
to added quality (or filesize).

I would like to automagically setup my channels so that *anything*
recorded on *only* the HD channel will get transcoded down to SD
quality at best!  Is there are way to configure this in the channel
settings that I can't find or is it up to the person creating the
schedule to manually set the transcode job at the same time?

For bonus points, is there an easy way to prevent the program from
being listed in the 'Watch Recorded Programs' screen until *after* the
transcoding has finished, to prevent people from trying to play them
on the Xboxes?  I imagine recording groups and user jobs would do it,
but I don't know where to start :(

Thanks for any help,
Whytey