[mythtv-users] Random mythbackend exits

James Fidell james at fidell.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 23:23:27 UTC 2007

David Whyte wrote:

> It seems that the backend crashes *ALWAYS* around when a recording is
> started or finished.  I am worried that it could be something dodgy
> that is external to mythbackend (i.e. the kernel is throwing up an
> error or two that the backend isn't handling too well.

I'm seeing this too, both in v0.20 and 0.20-fixes (rev 13901).  The
crashes I've had so far seem to be when a program starts recording.
I tried debugging this but didn't get much further than being dragged
in the direction of it possibly being EIT-related.

I don't really know the code, but looking at eitscanner.cpp, I wonder
if it is possible that perhaps EITScanner::StopPassiveScan is setting
eitHelper to NULL whilst EITScanner::RunEventLoop is still trying to
use it.  Unless someone comes back to me telling me that it just isn't
possible, I'll add a bit of debugging code and see what I find out.

James