[mythtv-users] Random mythbackend exits

Bruce Nordstrand brucen at ksl.com.au
Mon Aug 13 00:41:28 UTC 2007

David Whyte wrote:
> On 7/27/07, Phil Figgins <habajaba at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David,
>> No dice here. It can go for a week without a crash, but sometimes as little
>> as 15 minutes in between them. It seems that no one has an answer, and I
>> simply don't know enough about Linux to figure it out. My plan is to build a
>> temporary backend out of some older hardware to replace this one and then
>> rebuild this one. I'd be glad to hear from anyone with ideas before I waste
>> time building 2 systems.
>>

> Hi Phil and list,
>
> Well, this seems to becoming more and more recurring, and I have done
> a little more digging around in the logs and stuff.
>
> It seems that the backend crashes *ALWAYS* around when a recording is
> started or finished.  I am worried that it could be something dodgy
> that is external to mythbackend (i.e. the kernel is throwing up an
> error or two that the backend isn't handling too well.
David

I don't have an actual answer to your problem but you might like to take
a loko at this site in the interim. He has a script to check if the
backend is up and start it if it isn't. Take a look at point 8.9 on this
page:

http://hyams.webhop.net/mythtv/myth_ubuntu.html

I hope you figure this problem out, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Cheers
Bruce