[mythtv-users] Recording/playing back same file via NFS

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 13 01:07:15 UTC 2007

I've got all my media drives in my master backend (and 1 SD tuner)
and my main frontend box (and a SD and HD tuner) is in the living
room with just a boot drive. They are connected via a gigabit switch
and have verified the switch sees both as gigabit and I see transfer
speeds exceeding 100mbit. I NFS mount my media drives to my frontend
so I can either stream recordings from the backend or read the video
files from the NFS mounted drive.

I can record SD and HD on the machine that writes to the NFS share
and view HD either streamed from the backend or from the NFS share at
the same time as long as what I'm recording and what I'm viewing are
different recordings. Therefore, I have ruled out bandwidth as an
issue. The problem comes is when I try to view something that's
currently being recorded. It happen with both LiveTV and scheduled
recordings. It happens when I'm near the live TV point or if I start
watching something nearing the end of the recording. I get rather
frequent pauses in the video so that it is unwatchable. Like every
3-5 seconds. This is even with the master backend recording SD and
the frontend trying to play it back with no other activity between
the machines.

I've tried following the optimization settings on the wiki page. I've
tried switching from sync to async in the NFS settings. Anyone have a
solution? The relevant part of my current fstab file looks like this:
mythtv2.amade.us:/mnt/tvrecordings /tvrecordings nfs
actimeo=0,intr,soft,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,nfsvers=3,tcp 0 0

I've tried it with 16k and 8k rsize and wsize values with the same
results.

My /etc/exports file on the server looks like this:
/mnt/tvrecordings  livingroom.amade.us(rw,sync,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

and I've tried it this way:
/mnt/tvrecordings  livingroom.amade.us(rw,async,anonuid=0,anongid=0)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

brad