[mythtv-users] Upgraded to .20 fixes (14172), have weird digital TV sound issue

Joel Michael joel at gimps-r-us.com
Wed Aug 15 09:34:52 UTC 2007

Justin The Cynical wrote:
> When I tune in 102, I get video, but no sound (recordings are the same
> way).  The frontend log shows:
>
> AudioOutput Error: Channels count (1) not available: Invalid argument
> AudioOutput Error: Unable to set ALSA parameters
>
> Now, I'm taking a wild guess that since 102 is a simulcast, the are just
> sending out the analog programming untouched on the digital side,
> including the mono sound output.

I'm getting something similar, but with a completely different setup.
I'm recording from a DVB-S channel (using a Twinhan DST with an Irdeto
CAM, looking at Intelsat8 166E for SelecTV in Australia), and getting
similar effects (video is fine, no sound at all) and error messages:

2007-08-15 19:17:26.028 Opening ALSA audio device 'iec958'.
2007-08-15 19:17:26.385 AudioOutput Error: Channels count (1) not
available: Invalid argument
2007-08-15 19:17:26.385 AudioOutput Error: Unable to set ALSA parameters
2007-08-15 19:17:26.387 NVP: Disabling Audio, reason is: Unable to set
ALSA parameters

This only happens on a couple of channels (at least Cartoon Network).

> Might this be a Myth issue, or Alsa?  And how would one go about fixing it?

I'm not sure either, but I'd guess it's more ALSA than Myth.  The
frontend that's having the problems is using the hda_intel driver for
audio output.  My sound output device is set as ALSA:iec958, as I'm
sending all the sound to a Pioneer receiver over co-ax SPDIF (mainly so
I can pass through AC3 and DTS from DVDs and some DVB-T channels).  I'm
wondering if I need a .asoundrc to help with this problem?