Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Wed Aug 8 13:50:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 09:44:34AM -0400, Tim Gray wrote:
>    There is one question that nobody has asked.

I can but speculate, and it's onlly partly informed, but I'll be happy
to do it anyway.  :-)

>    Is the xmltv XML format going to change?  Or did you guys keep the XMLTV
>    side of the data untouched?

The XMLTV guy is on the board; plan on that staying pretty much the
same, modulo extensions.

>    Is the data going to be 100% identical to zap2it or will it be better?  is
>    there any chance of getting the more important parts of the data like
>    origional air date and Episode number to be more accurate?

Well, *one* of the reasons we presume that Tribune wanted to dump the
old Zap is because they were redoing their internal data structures.
You'd hope that bodes well for things possibly getting better...

>    Also, will we be able to get 13 days of data at a time?  how about a
>    suggested time for the software to retrieve the data like DD was attempting
>    to do?

Yeah, probably, on both counts.  Clearly, the team realizes that
advance data is important for scheduling.

>    Technical details would be good, not all of us here are appiance users we
>    like to dig into the operational guts. (I also am the only currently active
>    contributor ot webvcr+ that relies on xmltv data so It's a project interest
>    as well.)

Indeed.

>    Finally, I heard rumors that DataDirect is /was supporting 65,000 users.
>    How are you guys planning on supporting that kind of load?

65,000 1MB http hits a day?  Hell; I can handle that on my *laptop*.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jr '5 miles.  In the snow.  Uphill.  Both ways' a