[mythtv-users] MythTV recovery groups?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Fri Apr 27 08:29:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 04:26:09PM +1000, Chris Henderson wrote:
> On 4/27/07, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm at atrpms.net> wrote:
> >
> >On Thu, Apr 26, 2007 at 02:18:11PM +1000, Chris Henderson wrote:
> >> I don't want to turn this into a "this is better than that" argument,
> >but i
> >> was in your exact same position.
> >> I struggled for ages because i brought the wrong TV card (back in 0.14)
> >> Nothing would work properly.
> >
> >> I recently switched to myth DORA as i really do not have time to install
> >> using Jarrod's guide. Mythdora is very well done, all it is a
> >pre-packaged
> >> version of the current release of myth. And interestingly i see that
> >Jarod
> >> has joined the Dora effort, (not sure what).
> >
> >But Jarod's guide, ATrpms and mythdora are not really "competing". On
> >the contrary, they are more or less different views of the same thing.
> Please dont get me wrong!
>
> All of the people that are involved in the Mythtv world are really working
> on the same thing.
>
> My take on things is that Jarrods guid is really good for people to have a
> go at. it teaches you things that you do not learn by using mythdora. But it
> also allows for the human error factor to come in.
>
> Mythdora, in this case, does not really allow that to happen and would go
> some way to elliminating that factor and maybe point at more hardware.

What I wanted to say is that at the end you use the same packages,
it's not like comparing Fedora to say Mandriva. The difference is how
you get them, and personally I think mythdora is the nicest
approach, and you can still update to after-the-ISO-creation issued
updates.

Who knows maybe the next Jarod's guide will contain instructions on
how to bootstrap your system using mythdora.

And maybe there will be a mythdora for RHEL5/CentOS5 very soon, which
would be my personal recommendation to anyone (stable ABI fro 7 years,
minimal surprises when updating the system).
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net