[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

Shiloh Madsen shiloh.madsen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:14:16 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, John Pierce <john.j35 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Shiloh Madsen <shiloh.madsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok, but I think I may be misreading this...correct me if I am wrong.
> > Does this mean that I would have to set the satellite box to the
> > station I want to record, then just have myth capture directly from
> > the stream it is sending? That would essentially make mythTV a
> > glorified VCR...and a dumb one at that. My desire is to be able to use
> > the interface to say record this show on this channel, this show on
> > that channel, etc, etc and let the mythtv box change to whatever
> > channel it needs to be recording from on a given time. Does the setup
> > you suggest allow for this? The description seems to indicate no...
> >
> Shiloh, first things first, please don't top post it makes threading a
> conversation difficult at the least.
>
> I have a HopHog (pun intended) pvr 500 mce and two Directv D11-300 Set
> Top Boxes.
> I have the composite outs of the two boxes connected to the two
> composite inputs of the pvr 500 mce.  I have to serial -> usb
> converters and two standard serial cables (9 pin) connecting the
> computer to the set top boxes.  I can have picture in picture or I can
> record one channel while watching another.  Knowing which input I have
> selected or wish to record from myth will send the signal out on the
> correct serial port and change the cannel of the set top box.  BE
> FORWARNED, I am going to put a link here and you should choose one of
> the listed serial->usb adapters as their pinouts have be tested and
> are know to work.  Just follow the instructions on the page and all
> should be fine.  Here is the link.
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Controlling_DirectTV_D11_via_USB
>
> If you run into trouble with the directv perl script, email me off
> list and I will send you my working script.
>
> It is definitely doable and not that complicated to setup.
>
> Good Luck.
>
> --
> John
> Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at
> http://counter.li.org

Ok, I just want to confirm that the setup information you were
mentioning is still going to apply. Rather than DirectTV, we have
dish. The set top boxes are Model Dish 322. I am not seeing any sort
of serial port on the back of them. I also have to admit that, even
though I have been working with computers for ages, I feel like I am
learning a whole new language listening to your various kind
suggestions. I am very new to this and trying to untangle the various
things you are saying. I am sure it will come with time, but still
trying to play catch up. Should anyone feel like taking a little time
for direct chat, im lumerian3 on aim or lumerian1 on yahoo.

P.S. This what you meant by stop top-replying? Hopefully so.

S.