[mythtv-users] Looking to set up a new Myth Box.

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:07:26 UTC 2007

I'm going to take a stab at this tho i'm not the best person to answer the
question as all I've ever used with Myth is OTA broadcasts...no cable, no
satellite.  This may get a bit long to, consider this your warning.

To start with, it is incorrect that you cannot use MythTV with a satellite.
The trick however is getting the signal from your Satellite box TO your
MythTV Box capture/tuner card.

The problem here is that typically Satellite stations are encrypted, and
passing an encrypted signal to MythTV won't do you any good at all.  I
believe that the OTA channels and some of the  other Satellite channels are
required to be unencrypted or are carried unencrypted, but if you have any
notions at all of recording an HBO or Pay Per View movie on your Myth Box, I
believe you are well out of luck (someone will correct me if I'm wrong I'm
sure.)

Getting the signal to your capture cards typically requires the use of some
kind of set top box that has an "output" on it of some kind.  That output is
then run to the capture card/tuner.  The post above mine will give you some
clue what you're getting into.

Again, the content being HD or not isn't really all that important.
Anything unencrypted (HD or SD) will be able to be read, tuned, and
displayed/recorded so long as you can get the signal to your Myth Box.