[mythtv-users] Adding new sata drive. What should I move to it?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 25 15:29:25 UTC 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 8:25 AM, William Munson wrote:

>  Since adding recording inputs (hdhomerun) I am now running into hard
> drive issues. When I set the system up I only had a pair of eide
> drives
> so they were set up hda holding the boot, swap and os partition as
> well
> as a LVM partition. hdb was all LVM. I am now running into problems
> with
> the mysql database accesses are making the video break up on hd when
> carrying a full load of recordings. Not a cpu issue, I have ~ 20%
> free cpu.
>
> With that background info, which would be better for performance? Just
> moving the mysql database or moving the entire OS to the new drive?
> Any
> other options I should think about?

I think it's a good idea to have your OS and MySQL db on a separate
drive from your recordings. Not only for performance but backing up
is less of a chore that way. Personally, I don't care that much about
TV (it'll always be on again) so I don't bother backing up my
recordings, but I do back up my system and database so I don't have
to go through that trouble again. Oh.. and my DVD's and music so I
don't have to rip discs over and over again. I have those on a
separate drive from my recordings, too.