[mythtv-users] Can't Do HD ATSC Playback

Robert Current robert.current at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 15:21:20 UTC 2007

On 4/25/07, Kevin Slater <kevin.slater at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a much lamer system than you - VIA EPIA SP 13000 (so a 1.3 Ghz
> Pentium 3 / 4 ish processor). I have basically the same issue playing back
> HD. But here's the goofy thing, if I take that same HD OTA MPEG2 file that I
> can't playback using the standard mythtv playback engine and I ask mplayer
> or xine to play it back, it works fine.

Hmm, I'm still dropping frames like crazy if I do that.  It's not got
the full 1 second studded if I use xine to play back, because the
audio seems ok, but th video is choppy.

> Now both mplayer and xine on my
> system are built to leverage the XvMC-VLD playback that the Unichrome driver
> for my VIA embedded graphics chipset provides, but I thought that myth did
> too.

Ok, that I don't know at all, I'll have to read about XvMC-VLD, I
don't even know what it is, KnoppMyth just seemed to automatically
configure my X, so I didn't even look at how it's setup.

> I would like to try to see if it's a modeline / fps playback sync issue
> that's tripping up myth's playback, but I just haven't found time to sit
> down and do it. Maybe that's something that you should investigate for your
> setup.

I don't think I've looked at modelines since 1998... :-P  Just now
after I read this I looked for XF86Config, and found a xorg.conf file
that looks like I remember, and so does an XF86Config.in file...
Control-Alt-+ and Control-Alt-- seem to toggle resolution, so clearly
a few of the lines in there are working..  But give me virtual
desktop, not what I was looking for...  It might take me a while to
figure out what I'm doing again.  I'll look more if I have time.

But... Anyway, is this just a video card issue?  I mean, if I buy a
new AGP card, might I be able to do playback of ATSC HDTV?