[mythtv-users] Video playback "skips" roughly 1/s

Dan Phillips dan-tv at danandrachel.net
Tue Apr 24 17:34:54 UTC 2007

Robert Sauchyn wrote:
> Watching Live TV not delayed (ie. “real” Live TV), is extremely choppy
> to the point of being unwatchable, with video and audio pausing
> completely every few seconds, although I assume that this is a
> different issue.
>
> Also, the audio when watching recorded or Live TV is often slightly
> high-pitched, although, again, I assume that this is a different issue.

This sounds like the issue with video4linux or saa7127. There doesn't
seem to be a satisfactory answer for what exactly is causing this issue,
but sometime earlier this year a bug snuck into ivtv 0.10.1 and/or
video4linux. The solution is to either downgrade to an older version of
the video4linux kernel module (which I don't see on ATrpms any longer)
or forget about video4linux and build the saa7127 module from source
(you only needed video4linux for the saa7127 module anyway).

Instructions for doing this are available at:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/ivtv/users/35059
That might be a little on old side. If you need more help, I suggest
hopping on the ivtv-users list.

> I was told that a Myth box is a viable alternative to appliance PVRs,
> although my experience to-date is, needless to say, beginning to
> convince me otherwise. :)

It's a little more difficult to get a Myth box running, but challenge is
what makes it worth doing! Well, that and getting to automatically skip
commercials. ;-)

Dan