[mythtv-users] Video playback "skips" roughly 1/s

Robert Sauchyn rsauchyn at lfchosting.com
Sun Apr 22 21:28:41 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am running Mythtv version 0.20.20060828-3 on a P4 2.0Ghz with 768 of RAM with a Hauppauge PVR-350 (with hardware decoding on) and Xv.

When watching recorded video, or delayed Live TV (ie. after rewinding Live TV or pausing for a minute), the video skips (ie. delays briefly) roughly once per second like clockwork. Audio is not affected, and CPU usage is very low (typically <5% total).

I have researched this issue significantly, tried adjusting the video resolution, bitrate, cranking up the IVTV buffers, etc. and absolutely nothing has improved (or worsened, for that matter) the issue whatsoever, so I can’t help but feeling that I’m way off base. :)

Watching Live TV not delayed (ie. “real” Live TV), is extremely choppy to the point of being unwatchable, with video and audio pausing completely every few seconds, although I assume that this is a different issue.

Also, the audio when watching recorded or Live TV is often slightly high-pitched, although, again, I assume that this is a different issue.

I was told that a Myth box is a viable alternative to appliance PVRs, although my experience to-date is, needless to say, beginning to convince me otherwise. :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Rob