[mythtv-users] Starting from scratch ..yet again. Ubunto to Kubuntu for me I think.

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 13:30:20 UTC 2007

David Whyte wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I just thought Tom. If you're installing MythTV so quickly on Ubuntu,
>> maybe you could either write a quick guide or tell us which guide you
>> follow? I've done it 3 or 4 times now and ALWAYS come unstuck when it
>> comes to mysql and find I'm fighting an uphill battle to put things
>> right. Unless Feisty has changed the way it sets up mysql, I'd be
>> interested to hear how you're doing it all so quickly.
>>

> Hi Damian,
>
> I am running mythbackend on my Ubuntu Feisty server and the FE on thre
> Ubuntu Feisty boxes.  Setup couldn't have been much easier.
>
> Take a squizz at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV for
> comprehensive guides provided by the package maintainer and the Ubuntu
> mythTV team.
>
> HTH's
> Whytey

Thanks for that David,

Those are the guides that I've followed for every install so far, but
I've just noticed that they've been updated for the latest version of
Ubuntu and Mysql changes are listed in the "what's new" section.
Hopefully that will make my life easier!

Maybe I will give the Ubuntu install CD one more try before firing up
the Kubuntu CD.
Or maybe I should have Gnome and KDE both on my system and try them both
out again. I don't really want to learn both and don't like how it makes
the start menus un-neat, but at the same time, I don't like thinking
that I'm missing out on something :-)

Thanks again
Damian