[mythtv-users] TiVo Remote

Brian Walter blwalter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:13:34 UTC 2007

Robert Current wrote:
> Can someone point me on how to configure a TiVo remote as a SECOND
> remote so I can use it in addition to my current remote?
>
> I'm using a Hauppauge A415 remote to an IR tail hanging off of a
> Hauppauge PVR-150, it works, but it's just not intuitive (IMHO).  For
> example, pause button pauses, but play marks position instead of
> resuming from pause.  Other things, like never knowing what button
> provides "info" on the recording I'm viewing (because it seems like
> it's rarely the "info" button).
>
> I've been using TiVo for over 5 years, MythTV for about 2 weeks...
> It'd be really really nice to be able to use the same, familiar,
> comfortable remote.  Any ideas?
>
> I have like 5 TiVo remotes sitting around the house, programmed for
> two DirecTiVo, and various TV sets...  I had the TiVo's on my cable
> channel 101 and 103 (using a CablePlus channel injector), and I'd like
> to move my MythTV system to Channel 105.  I have the distribution and
> IR Relay part of it covered, just getting the MythTV box to respond to
> the TiVo remote would be the final step.

I went through this, via a Harmony remote programmed for a DirecTivo.
Probably the safest way to do it is use irrecord from lirc, and capture
the various buttons, and then append that to your lirc.conf (you can
have multiple remotes defined in the lircd.conf file).

You'll probably want to name the buttons slightly differently when
recording (irrecord), so you can have in essence two 'play' buttons
defined in lircrc, and not have them step on each other.

Regards,
Brian