[mythtv-users] TiVo Remote

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Apr 20 22:48:43 UTC 2007

On Friday 20 April 2007 12:50, Robert Current wrote:
> Can someone point me on how to configure a TiVo remote as a SECOND
> remote so I can use it in addition to my current remote?

I can't provide much specific help; however, I do have a couple of
comments....

> I'm using a Hauppauge A415 remote to an IR tail hanging off of a
> Hauppauge PVR-150, it works, but it's just not intuitive (IMHO).  For
> example, pause button pauses, but play marks position instead of
> resuming from pause.  Other things, like never knowing what button
> provides "info" on the recording I'm viewing (because it seems like
> it's rarely the "info" button).

When using LIRC, there are two key mappings, both of which are configurable:

1) LIRC-to-keyboard keymappings. These enable you to set which keyboard
   key each remote key activates -- for instance, the pause key might be
   mapped to the keyboard's "P" key.

2) MythTV key-to-action mappings. These tell MythTV what to do when a given
   keyboard key (or its LIRC-mapped remote equivalent) is pressed.

These two keymappings obviously interact. For instance, to set the "info"
function on a remote to something sensible, you've got to set it in both LIRC
and in MythTV. I get the impression that you're just using the defaults
provided by MythTV and whatever LIRC configuration you're using. These
obviously don't work to your satisfaction. You may be able to improve matters
by adjusting #1, #2, or both.

These matters also interact with certain frontend options. I don't recall the
details, though. I think one has to do with fast forward/rewind vs. skip
forward and back options.

Concerning the pause and play buttons specifically, IIRC, the default
configuration doesn't provide a separate play function, and switching to the
TiVo remote alone (which implies adjusting the LIRC configuration) won't make
it behave the way you want. I believe you've got to adjust either the MythTV
mappings (#2 above) or set a frontend option. Certainly I recall having to
muck with this feature myself when I set up my MythTV box, but I don't recall
precisely what I had to do.

You might want to check the following page, which summarizes how MythTV
responds to keyboard commands by default:

http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com