[mythtv-users] seeking advice for starting from scratch

Chris Funk cfunk30myth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:13:09 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, Jack Madison <jack at webhouse.cc> wrote:

> Thanks for the replies.  I did some searching on those two things
> (169time and r5000).  I'm willing to spend money to get this up and
> running, but I'm not willing to drop $500-$1,000 just to get HD tv shows
> to Myth.  I'd rather put that receiver on the new TV and just live with
> it, or switch to the local cable company if what they have works with
> MythTV.
>
> On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 14:58 -0400, Brian Walter wrote:
> > Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> am
> holding

> > > <snip>

> HD
> > >>

> > > No.  You cannot pull HD from a satellite receiver unless you invest in
> > > something "hacked" to provide firewire output (google
> 169time).  Sorry.
> > >
> > > Kevin
> > >
> > Or google R5000.  These are pricey though.
> >
> > Brian

Cable co will be a crap shoot.  You will most likely be able to get HD on
the netorks maybe a few others for sure.  But any premium channels are hit
and miss.  I am one of the unlucky ones and don't get my HD movie channels
unencrypted via QAM.  I keep around a comcast DVR so I can record a few
shows on those channels.  Pathetic I know, but I love my HD.  :-)

Chris