[mythtv-users] seeking advice for starting from scratch

William Munson william_munson at bellsouth.net
Thu Apr 19 20:26:00 UTC 2007

Jack Madison wrote:
> Thanks for the replies.  I did some searching on those two things
> (169time and r5000).  I'm willing to spend money to get this up and
> running, but I'm not willing to drop $500-$1,000 just to get HD tv shows
> to Myth.  I'd rather put that receiver on the new TV and just live with
> it, or switch to the local cable company if what they have works with
> MythTV.

With cable things are dicy. You should be able to pull the local
channels hd feeds but its not likely that you will be able to get any
premium channels due to the widespread use of the 5c scrambling. You may
also be able to get a cable box with an enabled firewire port but that
has also been hit and miss from the reports on the list. If you can pull
a decent signal from a tv antenna I would think about getting a hd
device that can decode both formats and try a simple antenna in addition
to your satellite service. If that does not work then there is always
cable :)