[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Apr 18 12:59:34 UTC 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Harald Kubota wrote:

> Now if I could find a 802.11a USB NIC which works on Linux...

You might be able to find an 802.11a ethernet bridge if you can't
find a USB device.

> So going from 2.4GHz to 5.x GHz can do magic. However range is less
> in my experience. I am looking forward for 802.11n running at 5.x GHz.
> That should fix the range problem of 802.11a (by using MIMO) and the
> microwave problem (by avoiding 2.4GHz).

I hadn't heard of 802.11n running in the 5Ghz. band.

But of course first: there is no such thing as 802.11n at this point,
in spite of what manufacturers, vendors and retailers tell you. They
are desperate to sell equipment, accepted standard or no.

I don't see any reason why the modulation standards *proposed* for
the "n" standard couldn't work at any RF frequency though.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org