[mythtv-users] Wireless Frontend

Harald Kubota hkubota at gmx.net
Wed Apr 18 11:31:04 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
>> That is, unless someone in the near neighbourhood turns on their
>> microwave, in which case the bandwidth drops to somewhat below
>> 200KByte/s, which is not enough anymore and the picture stops (sound
>> generally is ok).
>> VERY annoying since we cannot tell neighbours to stop using their
>> microwave and I will thus not go for wireless in the long run.
>>

> If you must use wireless for some reason you could look into 802.11a,
> which does not operate in the 2.4Ghz. "free-for-all" band.

A small addition to that: it's absolutely true. I have an access point
which can to
802.11a/b/g and one 802.11a NIC (Cardbus) and the link is fast and stable,
regardless of so far anything, including microwaves, rice cookers, or
anything
else. Very stable.

Now if I could find a 802.11a USB NIC which works on Linux...

So going from 2.4GHz to 5.x GHz can do magic. However range is less
in my experience. I am looking forward for 802.11n running at 5.x GHz.
That should fix the range problem of 802.11a (by using MIMO) and the
microwave problem (by avoiding 2.4GHz).

Harald