[mythtv-users] Orphaned mpg files

Ben Edwards funkytwig at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 12:14:06 UTC 2007

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 7:59 AM, Ben Edwards wrote:
>
> > My hard disk seems to be filling up and I don't think I have THAT
> > much recorded.
> >

> The question would be *what* is it filling up with?
>
> Most Myth systems run close to full, and use the "autoexpire" feature
> to make sure space is always available when needed. LiveTV recordings
> will expire quickly even though they seem to "fill up" the drive.
> Anything you want to keep forever can be told to not autoexpire.

I don't use auto-expire much, I would rather delete manually so I make
sure I don't loose stuff I want.  Also I am not sure if when something
auto-expires it is flagged in the database as 'has been recorded' so
the episode will not re re-recorded if re-transmitted.

Ben

> The point is that disk space, like RAM, is meant to be used, not sit
> around empty. If you are one of those who likes to see unused
> resources you can specify how much space to leave open, but that's
> pretty much a waste of money.
>
> As long as the "filling up" is not causing you any problems why worry
> about it?

I was working away from home for six months, coming back every few
weeks, so having free space when I left is important.

Anyway if the database/filesystem is out of sync that is a problem as
it is wasting space.

Ben

> Brian Wood
> beww at beww.org

Ben Edwards - Bristol, UK
If you have a problem emailing me use
http://www.gurtlush.org.uk/profiles.php?uid=4
(email address this email is sent from may be defunct)