[mythtv-users] Orphaned mpg files

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Apr 17 12:59:26 UTC 2007

On Apr 17, 2007, at 6:14 AM, Ben Edwards wrote:

> I don't use auto-expire much, I would rather delete manually so I make
> sure I don't loose stuff I want.  Also I am not sure if when something
> auto-expires it is flagged in the database as 'has been recorded' so
> the episode will not re re-recorded if re-transmitted.

Of course the bottom line is "whatever works best for you". You can
certainly prevent a program from auto-expiring so you do not lose it,
and you can over-ride the "was recorded already" status and force the
system to record anything you want.

> I was working away from home for six months, coming back every few
> weeks, so having free space when I left is important.

I don't see that. As long as your auto-expire settings are correct it
shouldn't matter if the disk is full when you leave or almost empty.
Myth will free up whatever space it needs according to rules that are
set by you.

The only exception I can think of is that some of the more exotic
filesystems were known to get flaky as they neared capacity, but I
think most of those problems have been corrected in later versions of
those filesystems.

"Free space" means "expensive online disk space that I have paid for
but for some reason decided not to use".

> Anyway if the database/filesystem is out of sync that is a problem as
> it is wasting space.

That's certainly true, but if it is happening then something is
seriously wrong with your system, and the answer is to find that
problem and correct it, not try and correct the symptoms after the
fact. This is especially true if the system runs unattended for long
periods.

Brian Wood
beww at beww.org