[mythtv-users] More than one backend?

Robert Kulagowski bob at smalltime.com
Mon Apr 16 19:24:45 UTC 2007

Rob Beard wrote:
> This got me thinking, would it be possible to
> have a main back end system based on something a bit lower spec like a
> Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 512MB memory and the DVB-T and DVB-S cards to live TV
> and scheduled recording and then have a combined front end/slave back
> end system downstairs plugged into the main TV based on something like
> an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB memory to playback recordings, view live
> TV and also record/view video from the MPEG2 encoder card and BT878 TV card?

Yep.  Lots of people do it.  It's certainly one of the main attractions
to MythTV - multiple backends cooperating together to record what you've
told it to record.

And it's why people end up with a "light / quiet" frontend and a backend
/ multiple backends in a basement, etc to put the noisy pieces of the
puzzle away from the TV.