[mythtv-users] More than one backend?

Rob Beard rob at esdelle.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 19:11:36 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

I was hoping someone could help a MythTV newbie with a query about
multiple back ends?

In the next couple of days I am having a satellite dish with Quad LNB
and new digital aerial installed.  Now I have been planning on setting
up a MythTV box to record from digital free to air satellite and digital
terrestrial TV.

My original idea was to have a combined front end and back end to handle
recording and playback.  I was also hoping to fit an Adaptec PCI MPEG2
encoder card (same sort of thing as the Hauppage PVR-250 I think) and
also a standard BT878 TV capture card to handle capture from video (to
transfer all those old video tapes to DVD).

To run all this I was thinking of using an Athlon 64 3000+ with a Serial
ATA hard drive, 512MB (or possibly 1GB) memory under Ubuntu 7.04 (when
it is released).

On reading through the Ubuntu Edgy MythTV documentation noticed it
mentions slave back ends.  This got me thinking, would it be possible to
have a main back end system based on something a bit lower spec like a
Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 512MB memory and the DVB-T and DVB-S cards to live TV
and scheduled recording and then have a combined front end/slave back
end system downstairs plugged into the main TV based on something like
an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB memory to playback recordings, view live
TV and also record/view video from the MPEG2 encoder card and BT878 TV card?

Is anyone else using multiple back ends with one (or many) front ends?

Thanks in advance.

Ta,

Rob