[mythtv-users] More than one backend?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Apr 16 19:29:03 UTC 2007

[deletia]
> On reading through the Ubuntu Edgy MythTV documentation noticed it
> mentions slave back ends.  This got me thinking, would it be possible to
> have a main back end system based on something a bit lower spec like a
> Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 512MB memory and the DVB-T and DVB-S cards to live TV
> and scheduled recording and then have a combined front end/slave back
> end system downstairs plugged into the main TV based on something like
> an Athlon XP 2000+ with 512MB memory to playback recordings, view live
> TV and also record/view video from the MPEG2 encoder card and BT878 TV
> card?
>
> Is anyone else using multiple back ends with one (or many) front ends?

    A slave backend is just a backend that doesn't have it's own mysql
database and instead points to the one on the master. My master backend
has the capture card and all of the storage. My slave backends are just
run on frontend boxes and allow me to exploit underutilized cpu capacity.

    It ends up being a nice little cluster for transcoding and commflagging
my recordings.

    The frontend and backends are separate programs. You can run one, the
other or both.